Noun Clause: Tense agreement

TENSE AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE MAIN VERB AND NOUN CLAUSE
(İSİM CÜMLECİĞİ VE ANA FİİL UYUMU)

Ana cümlenin fiil yapısı “present”, “future”, “present perfect” veya bir “present modal” yapıda olduğunda, yan cümlede kullanılan zaman “past perfect” hariç herhangi bir zaman olabilir. Belli bir sınırlama yoktur.

· I have just learnt that the boss left for Amsterdam
· If you get this message on for marriage, I'm afraid that it will prove a shock to you.
· Jelius Nyerene has emphasized that people can only develop themselves; they cannot be developed
· The newspapers allege that several ministers were involved in the illegal arms deal.

Ana cümlenin fiil yapısı “present” olduğunda, yan cümlede “past perfect” kullanımı sınırlıdır. After, as soon as, before, gibi zamanı netleştirici bağlaçlar kullanılarak , ana cümlede “past perfect” bir zaman cümlesi oluşturabiliriz.

· I suppose that he had just left when I got there.
· I am sure that thay had already married before they moved here.

Ana cümlenin fiil yapısı “present” olduğunda, yan cümlede “would” kullanılmaz. Ancak, would like would rather / prefer yada koşul cümlelerin type 1, type 2 yapıları kullanılabilir.

· He informed his manager that he would like to attend the following week's conference.
· She told me that If he acknowledged that he'd made a mistake, things wouldn't be so tense.

Ana cümlenin fiil yapısı “past” olursa, isim cümleciğinin fiili "past" yapıda olmak zorundadır. Örneğin, “simple past tense” yapıda fiili olan bir ana cümleye eklenen isim cümleciğinin fiili "present", "future", "present perfect" veya bir “present modal” yapıda olamaz.

· I felt that no one was really doing anything about the missing child.
· Hannah seemed that she had been asleep for along time.
· I soon became aware that they hadn't listened to anything I'd said.
· The suspect admitted that he had been aware of the plot to assassinate the President.
· The board emphasized that no single individual would be held responsible for the incident.

İsim cümleciği (noun clause) genel bir doğruyu ve doğada var olan bir gerçeği veya bir kanunu ifade ediyorsa temel cümleciğin zamanı “past” olsa da yan cümlenin yüklemi “present” olur.

· Galileo discovered that the earth has an oval shape.
· Our Geography teacher explained us that the sun provides life for us.
· Darvin showed that organisms evolve in a direction that favour their survival.

Bu uyum kuralları soru sözcükleri, veya wheter / if yapılarını içeren isim cümlecikleri için de geçerlidir.

· Students must sometimes ask themselves whether the cost of education is worth.
· I haven't even heard if they've received my application letter.
· It isn't obvious which team will win the championship this year.
· He couldn't prove where he had been at the time of the break-in.
· The governor of the prison declined to comment on how the prisoners had managed to escape.


SOME IMPORTANT NOTES ON THE USE OF NOUN CLAUSE


1- I don’t think / I can’t think

“I don’t think ….” İfadesi zannetmiyorum anlamında gelir;

· I don’t think that he will leave his job as he is expecting to be promoted.
  (Terfi edeceğinden dolayı işinden ayrılacagını zannetmiyorum.)


· I don’t think I will work with you under these harsh conditions.
  (Sizinle bu zor koşullar altıda çalışacağımı zannetmiyorum.)

“I can’t think” bir neden düşünemiyorum, anlayamıyorum anlamında kullanılır.

· I can’t think why she won’t accept to join us.
  (Bize katılmayı neden kabul etmeyeceğine dair bir neden düşünemiyorum.)

· I can’t think why she refused our offer.
  (Teklifimizi neden reddettiğini bir türlü anlayamıyorum.)

2-“Ask, want to know, wonder, be not sure, etc…” gibi fiiller “that” ile değil, daha çok “whether / if” yada “what, where how, when” gibi soru kelimeleri alır.

3-“Tell, understand, explain, know, etc…” gibi filler her üç yapıyı ile kullanılabilir.


Yorum Gönder

Daha yeni Daha eski